Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ode to My Husband

A lot of people think I'm crazy for doing some of the work that I do. Heck, sometimes I think I'm crazy. I mean, who thinks "ya, counseling men who have hurt their partners sounds like fun."
While I never said the work was fun, its definitely challenging. It has helped me grow personally and professionally. I have some pretty great co-workers.

And it really helps me appreciate my home. My family. My husband.

One guy today questioned if he ever really loved his wife.

That made me sad. Apparently I'm still thinking about it. But it made me think of how I love my DH and everything I love about him.

And for your reading pleasure, a list of many of the things I love and appreciate about my husband:

- His big generous heart: When we were first dating, I learned, kind of by accident that he was sponsoring a poor child from another country. Monthly sending money and letters to help the child and family provide a better life/future. He started doing it as soon as he got his first job out of college. He also its his "thing" to put together 2 full grocery bags a month to give to the local food pantry.

- He is a future thinker. He is always considering the next step. How will today affect tomorrow. Be it actions, money, whatever.

- He is very affectionate. I need that.

- He is incredibly honest. Sometimes to the point of being annoying. But I know that he always means what he says. If he says the pot roast was good, it was good. If he doesn't like that beer that you've been raving about, he just says so. No sugar coating. No trying to appease or pacify. No hidden messages. It is what it is. Hes not going to pretend.

- His sense of humor. If you haven't seen it, you don't know him very well. While he seems very serious on the surface, he is actually quite funny and silly. We have many many inside jokes. Though he will never ever like fart jokes.

- His fathering. I knew when i saw him interact with his nieces and nephews for the first time that he would be a good dad. He looks at his son with pure adoration. He is goofy and silly with him and kisses his face and head and speaks baby talk and cuddles changes diapers and laughs at spit ups. It is a joy to watch him.

- His ease with himself. He is just so comfortable in his own skin. I would like to thank his parents for that. It helps me to be at ease with myself

- Listening. Now, at first, he often seems like he is not listening. This was difficult at first. He has a thought and sticks with it. And you might make your case...whatever the issue/discussion is and you might leave the conversation feeling like you got no where. However, he ALWAYS thinks about it. And hours or days later will come back with modified thoughts based on research or further thought. And then will acknowledge your idea. Better late than never.

- His faith. It is super personal to him. He loves God, loves life, and is very spiritual. However it is not preachy at all. It is simply lived out.

- Morals. This possibly goes along with honesty generosity and faith. But he has strong moral and ethical convictions. I know that he will always do what he feels is the right thing, even if it is difficult. I love that he  tells some of his guy friends that he thinks some of their "typical guy stuff/talk" is dumb and degrading to women.

- Fairness. This man has never hit below the belt. Ever. not once. He always plays fair. Even if/when I do not.

- Animals: oh he has a fondness for all creatures. We dream of having a farm. He cuddles this kitty. He can't shoot/hunt animals, even though he has been trained to do so. And is on my "ethical treatment of animals" bandwagon. Hes also the master gardener around here.

-He is immensely intelligent. I really believe he could have been a doctor, and a good one. But he is also a good chemical engineer and manager of people. He does chemistry for a living. And makes it work on a huge scale. He uses that intelligence is many other areas as well.

-Supportive. I have some crazy ideas and goals sometimes. And he is supportive of them, even if he may not be a huge fan of some of them. We worked it out early on- dating while I was finishing grad school. He helped me take care of mom. He's cool about my all-natural kicks. Whatever I need for my work schedule. Losing baby weight- ok, even if there are fewer sweets around. '

-Passionate- when it comes to the things he really loves, he can turn into a giddy little kid or a man on a mission. Looking at Star Wars Toys, opening a pack of baseball cards, hanging out with his brother, going to a baseball game, the Badgers, getting a gift for his dad, getting/making dessert, working out, social responsibility, his vegetable garden, chemicals, religion, politics...

-Patient. Kind. Gentle.


I pray our son turns out to be an awful lot like him.

Is he perfect. Absolutely not.

But who is.

Is he awesome. Absolutely so.

I am a very very lucky woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment