Friday, April 12, 2013

A few of my favorite things

raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Ok, while I do adore my kitty and all of her lovely whiskers, this post is not about a song. Or the Sound of Music. Or objects that I love.

It is however about my son. And just some of his adorableness and antics. That have become my favorites lately. And of course, he, by himself, is one of my favorites (along with his daddy-o)

1. I just put Ben down for a nap. And before we nap or sleep we read. Hes been into turning pages for a while, which I adore, but he has started this thing of picking out his own books. I keep many of his books on the lower branches of his tree shelf now. And he goes up to it. Scans his selection and pulls them out one at a time. If he does not like it, he throws it down. If its one of his favorites, he holds on, and backs up and plops into my lap. We read the book and when done, he tosses the book and gets back up and repeats this process. i think he could do it for hours. I have yet to test those limits. Some of his favorites?
   - Where is Spot
   - The very Hungry Caterpillar
   - I am  a Bunny
   - Dear Zoo
   - brown Bear Brown Bear What do You See


2. His fine motor manipulation impresses me. To tell you the truth, I don't know what is normal for his age. And he is not walking on his own yet. So I hold on to this and enjoy it. He loves to take small objects, for instance, a travel toothbrush holder, his plastic Easter eggs, this hammer bench with little tiny pegs, and a few other random small objects around the house.  He easily pulls the apart, and then puts them back together. little small hard to put together pieces. Like "whatever, its no big deal". "I'm just 13 months and can put the toothbrush holder together faster than you, mom"


3. Somehow we got into this "pillow game". And its possibly just that he loves to imitate. But i put our throw pillow on the floor, and kind of fall into them. If that makes sense, more like plop my head down. And Ben loves to do that too, with me. And he giggles and giggles and giggles. It feels like "our thing". Which is maybe why its my favorite. And its another thing we can do for hours.


4. His relationship with kitty. Its a known fact that my kitty is not exactly outgoing or friendly. She likes to be "with" people and observe, but doesn't like to be approached. Unless she knows/trusts you. And slowly she is allowing Ben to approach. To pet her without running away. And we have been working hard with Ben petting her "gently" which he does. 75% of the time. We are still working on the tail pulling thing. Kitty does not appreciate that. But does mildly tolerate it now.
                                                                  Oh and that signal means "I'm hungry/thirsty"

5. Music. Ben and I sit and play the piano. Or on the guitar I play his some "I'm a little teapot" or "abc's" or "twinkle twinkle little star" (all essentially the same tune). and he loves it. Bounces, dances. tries to figure out how the guitar works. holds the strings. looks inside the sound hole. And he also has a few musical toys that he loves to bop around to. One of note that melts my heart: This black stuffed bear that I got for my mom several years ago when she was alive. I took her to build a bear workshop for her birthday and she was SOOO excited. She picked out this bear and wanted a birthday song inside and some White Sox accessories. So we got all of that. After she passed I kept this bear. And now Ben adores this bear, especially when we play the birthday song from it. Over and over and over. And I tell him about Grandma Mary and how much she loves/would have loved him.

The more I write the more I think of to add. But lets stop at these 5. 

And when the dog bites, when the bees stings, when I've feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel, so bad......

No comments:

Post a Comment