Sunday, November 18, 2012

excuses

So yes, I've decided to run a half marathon. 13.1 miles. And yes, it is a long ways a way, in April. I have almost 6 months to prepare. Not the 3 months most halfers give themselves. And there is a reason for that.

Excuses.

 All of the runner friends post on Facebook lovely inspirational things and pictures that say things like "no excuses". Well people, I am full of them.  And I'd like to think that I have some pretty darn good ones. Would you like to hear some of them?


1. I have a 9 month old baby (aka mommy guilt)
    Most runners I know have kids, but they are all either in school or are able to somewhat be alone for 30 minutes or be watched by an older sibling while they go for a 30 minute run. And I can't really leave the house while my sweet boy naps. or when hes running a fever. Now I do have a jogging stroller. And yes, I do run with him in it sometimes. However its not always the most motherly nurturing interactions while I'm trying to focus on a run and also, its cold. I feel guilty taking him out in the cold, even with bundling him up. I'm sure its not that fun for him. So we can do it sometimes. Just not every day.

2. Um, I am training in winter.
     Yes, winter. In the midwest. This means its cold. Which I am a bit of a baby about the cold. Especially when the wind wants to rip a hole right through my ears. Additionally it get dark so darn early. Daylight savings. So if I wait until Bill gets home, its dark. too creepily dark. even though my neighborhood is relatively safe.

3. I work.
     I see the appeal of being a full time stay at home mom. Granted, I only work part time. 2 days and one night per week. And those 2 days I am gone 8-5. Then there are all of those home duties at night. And I just want to cuddle the little monkey I haven't seen all day. So running those days are out. I can get in an elliptical or bike workout in the basement, but again, its dark. so no running outside.

4. Don't even ask about mornings.
     Geez. My dear son wakes up at 6am every single morning. sometimes a tad earlier. He feeds, we nod off a little, we both get dressed, bathed, fed again, packed up and ready for the day. I will not arise at 5am. That is just insanity and out of the question. Especially with full milk ladies in the a.m. and little sleep. I am lucky to make it to the sitters on time those 2 days a week. very very lucky.

So what the heck then, right?

I have lots of excuses. And don't we all.

But we just do the best that we can. If its important, we will make it happen. In some wacky form. So no, I will not be running or training daily. And no, I do not expect to finish this race in anywhere near a record time. But I do expect to finish.

So I will train. On  a very extended schedule. For 6 months about 2-3 days a week of actual road work. Mostly weekends probably. Slowly increasing in length. Then maybe my in between cross training of elliptical, bike, yoga, etc to keep the fitness levels up. Like most things in life, I'm going to do it my way.

Excuses and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment