Thursday, November 15, 2012

By the Chimney with Care

So I have another new project. Shocking, I know.

With the holidays fast approaching, I realized that I am going to need a few new-ish things for my little Buddy. I can't wait to get him his first ornament. Sing and play Christmas songs with him. Celebrate St. Nicholas day and wait... he needs a stocking!!

So I start thinking about a cute homemade one and where to get one. So I look on Etsy of course, because I love Etsy and want to support the little guys. And then the cheapo side of me looked at the prices of the cute ones I liked and thought...ugh. I want matching stockings eventually...and I'm not into $100 for 3 cute and handmade stockings. And none of them were quite what I envisioned.

Of course I start my crazy thinking and go..."wait a minute, I can make a stocking". Completely disregard the fact that I haven't sewn diddly since my 4-H days. 15+ years ago.


And I am kind of following through on it. I went to Hobby Lobby the other day and was completely overwhelmed with the fabric selection. I bought at least 10 different fabrics and some pins and a pattern. Slightly scared of the idea of turning into the crazy fabric hoarder my mom was. By the time I got home I realized that I didn't have thread, needles, basting or a clue on how to use my moms old sewing machine.
 some of my fabric choices, while most are not very Christmasy, I especially love the green zig zags


I did make another run with Ben to get some of the other supplies, and started cutting out some ideas. I have also so far disregarded the pattern. I found mine and bills stocking and sort of traced it. I'm just kind of messing around/flying by the seat of my pants and experimenting a bit for now. Shocking, right? I have enough fabric to be able to that with. I am sewing by hand until next week I can get a little more direction from my mother in law, who used to have her own sewing business (and will more than likely be horrified by my techniques/abilities).

My short term goals are:
1. practice a little
2. learn something from the M-I-L
3. have some semblence of 1 functional stocking for Ben by the time St. Nicholas Day comes around (early Dec). and then I have all of next year to make a real one for Ben
4. Make a real one for Ben
5. Make real ones for Bill and I (probably sometime next year)

Here is my first attempt.

It doesn't look awful from the outside, but the inside is pretty mutilated. Its also pretty simple. I may want to do a toes with the same fabric as the top and add/embroider a name. And a loop to hook it onto things.

The good news is there will be something for St. Nick to put Ben's goodies in this year.

Wish me luck. I will be needing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment