Thursday, May 9, 2013

In Thanksgiving

Its now been a week and a half since I ran the Illinois Half Marathon. Everything about the experience was amazing to me. The race, the sister bond, the energy and the experience of fundraising for a good cause.

Overall my sister and I raised $1390 for A Safe Place: Lake County Crisis Center for Prevention and Treatment of Domestic Violence. That covers housing, food counseling education for domestic violence victims. Our goal was to raise $1000. And with the support of our family and friends, we finished the race and for exceeded our goal. We ran, but you donated and inspired us. I cannot tell you how much that means to me and how Thankful I am to have so many generous people in my life.

I did not except to enjoy both aspects of running/training and fundraising. See I hate asking for things, anything. Money included. I could never be a salesperson for this reason. A good one anyway. But its easier if its something I am passionate about. Something that has great meaning to me and I can back with my entire being. And it benefits the world at large, not just myself.

So with this experience, I want to do both again. I have a friend who now wants to run a half marathon with me this fall. We have been looking at our options and it looks like we are choosing the Biggest Loser Half MArathon in Racine Wi. This was an easy choice as it is 1. close  2. The Biggest Loser. And I love me some Biggest Loser. I secretly hope Jillian will be there. Or Bob Harper. Or Dani Allen. someone.

Secondly I plan to fund raise again. I have been considering several options. But one thing I do know  is that I have had a growing stirring in my heart for adoption. For helping orphans find homes. There are some 40 million orphans in the world. Both foreign and domestically. And while I understand restrictions need to be in place to make sure they go to good homes, it has become outrageously expensive for well meaning people to consider bringing a human being out of tragic circumstances into a loving home. Think $30,000 plus. That number alone turns people away. I believe there are so many ways to work this issue from adoption to creating more stable communities in impoverished areas where people can afford to raise their own children or can live long enough to raise them.

When I have it all in place I look forward to sharing my chosen charity with you. And asking you to pray for it, spread the word and/or donate yourself for this worthy cause.

I am so thankful to know so many wonderful people who tolerate my whims and support them, if not for the sake of those who need the support more desperately than I do.

With much love and thanksgiving.

Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment