Sunday, November 6, 2011

TV Talk

Hello, my name is Jenna and I really don't care that much about television.

As someone who prides herself on being a bit of a "jack of all trades" I often feel like I can talk to almost anyone about anything. I like that. From football and sports to celebrities to psychology to medicine movies food weather cars business politics religion. Apparently, anything except television.

This became a problem last night, and have noticed it on other social occasions. We had an open house at the group practice and then the bosses took us out to dinner. Most of the clinicians work pretty independently and do not know each other well. So a safe and broad topic of conversation came up for most people....television. Of course, the one thing I have very little to add to. So for someone who is already slightly socially awkward, it just made things worse. I was the odd man out.

Now, I'm not saying that I do not watch any television. I have about 3 shows a week that I like to watch enough to record if I can't watch it. The Biggest Loser, The Office and Dancing with the Stars. I have recently started enjoying Parenthood as well. But ok, that maybe 4. (this is excluding football/baseball and the syndicated reruns that are on during dinner time at 6pm). Everyone else had about 20-30 different shows that they are following!!

Did I mention that we don't have cable?

I did finally mention that I just don't watch that much tv. Someone (a defensive therapist) asked if I was just too busy with my social life. I said no. I mean, I just have a lot of interests and probably waste my time with other useless exploits. I waste lots of time playing with my kitten, on the internet (thank you facebook), doing baby research, reading, working out, watching movies (which I would have had much more to say in that conversation), talking to my husband, playing music, teaching guitar, doing art projects, catching up on my "work from home" work, calling family members, napping, complaining about being bored, volunteering w/ youth group stuff, ... Oh and did I mention I work 3 part time jobs?

I would very much like to have a more active social life, but think I might be too much of a homebody.

And I think my jobs and family provide me more than enough drama, why do I need someone elses fake tv drama?

Maybe so that I can have a more active social life.

No comments:

Post a Comment